Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Bonus Post: Reusable Diapers and Pads

Hello, everyone! This week on One Green Hour, I'm pleased to present a longer post by the excellent Leah and your humble blogger. If you ever have any topic on which you would like to speak at length, this is how I will present your information from now on. So be as verbose as you like! I love reading about all of your green ideas.

Without further ado, here is Leah with the benefits of cloth diapers:

"Today's cloth diapers are cute, soft, and convenient.

Health - Disposable diapers use chemicals to absorb moisture. Some babies have sensitive skin and these chemicals can cause rashes, blisters, and other problems. Cloth diapers are made of cotton, microfiber, velour - all sorts of soft fabrics. And the only chemicals involved are the ones you choose to use as detergent. You can experiment with detergents until you find a laundry routine that meets your standard for clean diapers and allows your baby a comfortable, irritation-free bottom.

Cost - Disposable diapers are expensive, and then you throw them away. Forever. You don't get any return on your investment. Cloth diapers are expensive up front, but you reuse them until they fall apart after many years (through several children!) and thus drive down the cost-per-use. If you buy $150 worth of store-brand disposable diapers ($9.29 for a package of 27 CVS brand diapers, 436 diapers total), that will be about $0.34 per diaper and will last only 62 days on a baby that needs to be changed seven times a day. Buy $150 worth of cloth diapers (for those who want ease of use, this will get you 8-10 one-size all-in-one or pocket diapers that have adjustable snaps that help them grow with your baby, or for those interested in getting the most from their money, $150 would buy about 8 diaper covers, 35 prefolds, and 5 Snappies [the safe and modern equivalent of a safety pin]), and the more you reuse each diaper, the more you justify the initial outlay of money. These investments will last you several YEARS and maybe even through multiple children.

Environmental Impact - It's a tradeoff, and you have to decide for yourself. I can't measure how much water it takes to wash CDs, or how much CO2 is saved by not transporting disposables from factory to store to home, or how much packaging I save. But I can count how many times I change a diaper and take comfort in the knowledge that that's how many diapers I'm not putting into the landfill.

It's tricky to figure out the laundry at first, and I wouldn't recommend using CDs if you don't have regular access to a washing machine. But a clothesline is fine for CDs - no dryer necessary. In fact, sunshine is a natural stain-fighter. But if you've got a washer, and if this is a commitment you're willing to make, you'll find the rewards are more than just environmental.

If you're interested in learning more, here is a link to more information about the use and care of cloth diapers:

http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/newtocloth/washingcloth

And here is a link to more information about the environmental impact of disposable diapers:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/149890-environmental-impact-of-disposable-diapers/"

Now that Leah has educated all the parents and parents-to-be and parents-to-be-someday-not-now-don't-worry-mom, I would like to tell you about cloth sanitary pads. Cloth pads carry many of the same benefits as cloth diapers do: they're additive and bleach-free and therefore gentler on the skin, they're expensive at the outset but then pay for themselves extremely quickly, and they won't fill up landfills. While you do use more water rinsing and washing them, infinitely more water is used in the manufacturing of disposable pads and their packaging material. All you have to do with these is rinse, soak, and then throw them in a normal load of wash. 

For the squeamish among you, let me soothe your fears! Yes, I know that no one wants to handle bodily fluids more than they need to. But I promise you will get used to the low maintenance cloth pads require very quickly. You'll be helped along by the fact that they are so much more comfortable than disposable pads could ever be. They are more absorbent and keep you drier. Honestly, I wasn't really looking forward to using them, even though I wanted to produce less waste, but as soon as I did, I wondered why I hadn't been using them since that first memorable event of puberty. I bought mine from Lunapads (lunapads.com), and I've been extremely happy with my choice. 

Another way to go is using devices like the Diva Cup, also sold by Lunapads. I personally can't vouch for these, as I've never used them, but I know many people who swear by them. (If any of you would like to let me know more about them, send me some info for next week!)

1 comment:

  1. I got mine here - http://blossom-pads.com/

    I can attest to their comfort!

    ReplyDelete