Sunday, May 26, 2013

Green Actions for a Green Season

I'm lucky enough to be visiting home right now, and I was admiring the abundance of beautiful nature around the place where I grew up. What a great way to get inspired to be greener than ever! (I also might encounter some 17-year cicadas this week - well, not all nature can be as delightful as pretty trees! But we still have to take care of all of it.) (Also, I'm kind of a little excited for the cicadas, because my mindset hasn't progressed past age seven regarding them.)

Support:

Eco-friendly mascaras: This is a particularly good resource for me, because mascara makes me happy: find four great sustainable brands at www.theunprocess.com/2013/04/18/dry-eyes/. This blog in general has many great green living tips and links!

Organic baby clothes: My sister sent this to me as "what your future children will wear": www.cafepress.com/+become-carbon-neutral+baby-clothing. All of them are 100% organic cotton. Some are perhaps a little obnoxious for my taste (I'm personally not a huge fan of the baby-as-billboard), but some are really cute ("I'm Organically Grown," aw. Also the whale fin).

Everyday Living:

Unplug when not in use: Chargers do not have to stay in the wall! They can still draw up to 25% of the energy used to charge your electronics if you leave the cord in the outlet. Take it out! (I personally unplug everything I'm not currently using that won't need to completely reboot, so lamps, etc.)

More green renovation: Here's another great resource for all of your green home needs: www.ecooptions.homedepot.com. Eco Options gives you great resources for monitoring your home's energy and access to green products such as non-VOC paints, recycled flooring, and EnergyStar appliances.

Have a green summer with these unique tips: At tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/green-summer-bonus-tips.htm, there are seven tips/challenges for the summer. Not all of them are easy, but all of them are worth looking into. I'll definitely be doing the two-mile challenge! Also, even if no AC is impossible for you (for health reasons, etc.), the list gives you some tips on how to use it as little as possible.

More vinegar - this time with orange: I am DEFINITELY doing this, because citrus scents are my favorite: at fountainavenuekitchen.com/orange-vinegar-a-green-cleaner/, read up on steeping that miracle green cleaner, white vinegar, with orange peels to have a naturally great smelling cleaner (and reuse your food waste!).

Use dry shampoo: If your hair turning into a slick mess is holding you back from cutting your number of showers and saving water (as it has with me), you can make your own dry shampoo with equal parts rice flour, arrowroot, and corn starch, plus a drop of lavender or lemon essential oil. I'm excited about this one!

Waste time by being green: Pinterest is a great resource for all sorts of sustainable DIY products. If you're going to spend a while on there anyway, as those who have Pinterest tend to do, use some of that time to do your one green hour!



No comments:

Post a Comment